Travel Incentives by the Malaysian Government & How You Can Use Them!
Staying at home for the past few months has made many of us hungry for some wanderlust. While international travel is still unadvisable in the current climate, travelling within Malaysia will curb our travel hunger for now.
With the economic stimulus package announced by the government that includes travel incentives and tourism promotions, get ready to travel again!
Incentives for Individuals
- Personal Income Tax Relief of up to RM1,000 for expenditure related to domestic tourism (for domestic hotel accommodations, domestic flights, domestic trains rides and attractions until 31 December 2020
- Digital travel voucher for domestic tourism of up to RM100 per person for domestic flights, train rides and hotel accommodations for all Malaysians. Keep a lookout for news on how to collect these vouchers.
- The government is also exempting 6% service tax for hotels from 1 July 2020 to 30 June 2021, which saves you an extra 6% for your final hotel bill.
Incentives for Business Owners
- Tax deduction on expenditure incurred on employee(s) training courses.
- 6-month deferment on payment of monthly income tax instalments.
- Exemption of hospitality industry from service tax on the provision of accommodation and related services until 31 December 2020.
- 15% discount in monthly electricity bills to hotels, travel agencies, airlines, shopping malls, conventions and exhibitions centres.
- Hotels and travel-related companies will be exempted from paying Human Resource Development Fund (HRD) levies.
- One-off payment of RM600 each to taxi drivers, tourist bus drivers, tourist guides and registered trishaw drivers.
The pandemic has impacted the tourism industry heavily, amongst many others. With travel incentives given, we anticipate many of us would start travelling again. If you’re looking for some travel inspiration, we’ve curated some ideas just for you!
- Malaysia Travel Insurance: How To Get The Best Deals
Whether you're traveling for work or pleasure, you would always want your trip to go…
- We Think You Should Really Visit These Malaysian Destinations In 2020
Sometimes, we all need a little break. With Booking.com, here are some truly Malaysian destinations…
- 5 Travel Scams Every Malaysian Could Fall For In Asia
Think you're safe from travel scams? Think again. With elaborate and believable schemes, travel scams…