Travel Around Japan With The JR Pass: Which Suits You Best?
Booked a ticket to Japan for your holidays but you have no idea how you’re going to travel around the country?
Whether you’re going to Okinawa, or travelling to Tokyo, a great way to travel around Japan is by taking the Japan National Railways by using the Japan Rail Pass (JR Pass).
If you’re a little lost by their selection, read on for more information on which pass to get from Klook.
If you get the [Ordinary Car] 7 Day Whole Japan Rail Pass from now till 5th May through ShopBack, you get 3% upsized cashback. All other JR Passes will receive 1.5% cashback through ShopBack.
What Are JR Passes?
A JR Pass is a transportation pass for foreign travelers. It’s only available for travelers on a “Temporary Visitor” status in Japan which means that you’re only allowed to stay in Japan for less than 3 months.
Depending on which JR Pass is purchased, you’ll be able to access all relevant train lines operated by Japan Railways as well as other means of transportation like the JR Bus, JR Ferry and monorails.
Which JR Pass is the one for you?
With more than 40 different types of JR Passes available in the market, it is confusing to pick the right pass. There are many factors to consider such as the duration of your trip, the region that you would like to focus on as well as the pricing.
It’s important to pick the one that fits perfectly into your travel plans.
If you would like to travel the whole of Japan but only have a short 7 days to spare, you would perhaps like to consider the [Ordinary Car] 7 Day Whole Japan Rail Pass for just RM1031.
However, if you are clear with your travel itinerary and have selected regions (ie, Central, Western, etc.) in mind, you can choose Regional JR Passes like the 5 Day JR Alpine-Takayama-Matsumoto Area Pass or simply just mix and match.
Here are the JR Passes available on Klook according to Regions and Duration of Pass:
You can use the search function in the table below. Filter by Area, Price, or the Pass by clicking on the arrow below.
|Whole Japan||[Ordinary Car] 7 Day Whole Japan Rail Pass||1031|
|Whole Japan||[Ordinary Car] 14 Day Whole Japan Rail Pass||1687|
|Whole Japan||[Ordinary Car] 21 Day Whole Japan Rail Pass||2164|
|Whole Japan||[Green Car] 7 Day Whole Japan Rail Pass||1417|
|Whole Japan||[Green Car] 14 Day Whole Japan Rail Pass||2324|
|Whole Japan||[Green Car] 21 Day Whole Japan Rail Pass||3023|
|Whole Japan||[Sakura Sale] 7-day Whole Japan Rail Pass and Japan 4G SIM Card||1114|
|Whole Japan||[Sakura Sale] 14-day Whole Japan Rail Pass and Japan 4G SIM Card||1752|
|Kansai||1 Day JR West Kansai Pass (KIX Pick Up)||81|
|Kansai||2 Day JR West Kansai Pass (KIX Pick Up)||159|
|Kansai||3 Day JR West Kansai Pass (KIX Pick Up)||196|
|Kansai||4 Day JR West Kansai Pass (KIX Pick Up)||233|
|Kansai||5 Day JR Kansai WIDE Area Pass (KIX Pick Up)||330|
|Kansai||5 Day JR Kansai Hiroshima Area Pass (KIX Pick Up)||498|
|Kansai||7 Day JR Kansai Hokuriku Area Pass||535|
|Hokkaido||3 Day JR Hokkaido Pass||609|
|Hokkaido||Flexible 4 Day JR Hokkaido Pass||812|
|Hokkaido||5 Day JR Hokkaido Pass||812|
|Hokkaido||Flexible 5 Day JR Tohoku-South Hokkaido Pass||701|
|Hokkaido||Flexible 6 Day JR East-South Hokkaido Pass||917|
|Hokkaido||7 Day JR Hokkaido Pass||868|
|Shikoku||3 Day JR All Shikoku Pass||332|
|Shikoku||4 Day JR All Shikoku Pass||369|
|Shikoku||5 Day JR All Shikoku Pass||406|
|Shikoku||7 Day JR All Shikoku Pass||443|
|Hokuriku||4 Day JR Hokuriku Area Pass||185|
|Hokuriku||5 Day JR Takayama-Hokuriku Area Tourist Pass||491|
|Hokuriku||7 Day JR Hokuriku Arch Pass||868|
|Hokuriku||7 Day JR Kansai Hokuriku Area Pass||535|
|Kyushu||3/5 Day JR All/North/South Kyushu Pass (Japan Pick Up)||257|
|Kyushu||7 Day JR Sanyo-San’in-Northern Kyushu Area Pass||812|
|Hiroshima||5 Day JR Hiroshima Yamaguchi Area Pass||406|
|Hiroshima||5 Day JR Okayama-Hiroshima-Yamaguchi Area Pass||498|
|Hiroshima||5 Day JR Kansai Hiroshima Area Pass (KIX Pick Up)||498|
|Okayama||4 Day JR San'in Okayama Area Pass||166|
|Okayama||5 Day JR Okayama-Hiroshima-Yamaguchi Area Pass||498|
|Kagawa||2 Day JR Kagawa Mini Rail and Ferry Pass||148|
|Mt Fuji Shizuoka||3 Day JR Mt. Fuji Shizuoka Area Tourist Pass Mini||166|
|Tohoku||Flexible 5 Day JR East Tohoku Area Pass (Japan Pick Up)||682|
|Niigata||Flexible 5 Day JR East Nagano/Niigata Area Pass (Japan Pick Up)||608|
|Alpine||5 Day JR Alpine-Takayama-Matsumoto Area Pass||646|
|Setouchi||5 Day JR Setouchi Area Pass||628|
|Osaka||5 Day JR Osaka - Nagoya 'Ise-Kumano-Wakayama Area Pass'||406|
|Sanyo-San'in||7 Day JR Sanyo-San'in Area Pass||683|
What is the Difference Between the Ordinary and Green Car Options?
If you chose the 7, 14 or 21 days Whole Japan JR Pass (with a RM50 Voucher), you will also have the option between the Ordinary or Green Car.
|Type of JR Pass||Seat Reservation||Amenities||Price for 7 Days||Price for 14 Days||Price for 21 Days|
|Green Pass||Yes||Service, Personal Luggage Space, Radio Set, Foot Rest, Magazine||RM1,417.00||RM2,324.00||RM3,023.00|
If you have a little budget to spare, ride in style and comfort by choosing the Green Car option.
How To Buy and Use JR Passes on Klook?
Dates to Remember:
- Booking Date: Date of Purchase
- Participation Date: Intended Date to Collect JR Pass with Exchange Order
- Activation Date: Intended Date to Start Usage of JR Pass
Step One: Buy The Passes on Klook
- Choose from 41 different JR Passes on Klook to fit your travel itinerary. JR Passes on Klook are the cheapest in the market and can be purchased in one hassle-free booking.
- Select the Participation Date for when you intend to exchange your Exchange Order to the JR Pass in when you’re in Japan. It must be within 90 Days of your collection of the JR Passes.
- Choose the “Malaysia Mail Delivery” option for the Exchange Order to be mailed to you with a registered post within 7 business days.
Step Two: Receive the Exchange Order
- Receive the Exchange Order in your mail and change it for your JR Pass within 90 Days from the day of the booking on Klook.
- Don’t forget to pack it into your luggage.
Step Three: Exchange for JR Pass
- Bring your Exchange Order to one of the many JR Ticket Offices in Japan. Check out this complete list of JR Ticket Offices in order to plan ahead before your arrival in Japan.
- When you’re making an exchange for the JR Pass, you will need to choose the Activation Date.
- This date will be the official date for which your JR Pass will be active for use.
- The Activation Date can be any day within 30 days of exchanging for the JR Pass.
JR Pass: Not So Confusing After All
It may seem like there are way too many choices when it comes to picking a JR pass, but don’t let the number of choices paralyse you.
Tips to Remember When Getting Your JR Pass:
- Buy Klook’s JR Pass. They’ll send you the Exchange Order. The best time to buy it is 2 months before your trip.
- Exchange the Exchange Order for a JR Pass when you’re in Japan within 90 days.
- Choose your activation date when you exchange the Exchange Order for the JR Pass.
- Enter your full name as per your passport details.
With your new JR Pass, it’s time to ditch the wheels and go for the rails.
Use code <MYSAKURAFEVER> for extra RM55 off your booking — you’d already hit the minimum spend with just a 7 Day Whole Japan Rail Pass at RM1000+!
- Japan Travel Guide — Should You Get A Tour Guide?
Say "Konni-chiwa" Japan sooner than you think. With our guide to planning your trip to…
- Tokyo, A Guide
Japan's capital, Tokyo is well-known as the city that never sleeps. It offers an unlimited…
- Travel Inspo Instagram Accounts That Make You Want To Travel
Follow these travel instagrammers to get inspiration for your next trip!